Are Bluetooth scales worth it?
I'm sure you have heard that Bluetooth scales are inaccurate. This might have been true many years ago, but as the years went by, the technology has improved so much that it is already at par with traditional scales. These scales have been calibrated with high-precision sensors and have gone thru accuracy tests with standards weights to ensure accuracy before leaving the factory.
There are at least two main reasons why Bluetooth Scales are worth it:
It provides a comprehensive list of your body weight metrics. Many of these scales provide more information than just your body weight. Each one is different, but all of them are designed to provide you with information that is useful to your goals. These includes:
Weight – the basic and most important measurement for body improvement.
BMI or Body Mass Index – the measure of body fat based on someone’s weight and height. This applies to both adult men and women. This is one of the most basic body measurements taken into account when achieving body improvement goals.
Body Fat – is the amount of fat you have in your body, whether essential or storage body fat.
Body Water – the total amount of fluids in your body.
Muscle Mass – the total weight of your muscles in your entire body.
Body Age – it is a measurement of what is your biological age based on your health and fitness level.
Balance – this refers to the left and right weight comparison of your body.
Heart Rate – the measurement of the speed of your heartbeat. This is important to track when having an understanding of your overall health.
Heart Index – is the amount of blood your heart pumps into your body’s circulation in one minute.
BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate – is the minimum amount of calories you need to perform basic functions while at rest.
Protein – a measure of the amount of protein in your body.
Visceral Fat – refers to the fat surrounding your organs.
Skeletal Muscle – it is the amount of muscles attached to our skeleton.
Subcutaneous Fat – refers to the visible fat under our skin.
Bone Mass – the amount of bone minerals in bone tissue.
Fat-Free Body Weight –is your total body weight excluding fat.
It keeps track of your body data via mobile phone. To anyone serious about achieving their weight goals, whether to gain or lose it, tracking your data is crucial. This information informs us of whether we getting closer to our goals or not. This is one of the best-added value of having a Bluetooth smart scale.
How does a Bluetooth scale work?
A Bluetooth Smart Scale can measure different things about our bodies. It includes BMI, Body Fat Percentage, Muscle Mass, and Fat-Free Body Weight (Lead Body Mass). These commercial scales use bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) to take these measurements. It detects how fast a low-grade electrical signal travels through our bodies. It measures the resistance of our bodies to electrical pulses.
When electrical pulses travel through our bodies, it travels faster in water and bone than in fat. Water is an excellent conductor, so the more water in your body, the faster the electricity travels. All throughout our body, different body parts, tissues and organs will have different resistance and conductivity to the electrical pulse. The scale then makes calculations based on preset equations to analyze the result and come up with information regarding the different body measurements. Scales do this through the electrodes on the scale, usually two or four. This is where the current is sent and received by your body then back to the scale. The results of these computations are then sent to your phone for tracking and further data analysis by fitness apps.
Top 5 best Bluetooth smart scale
Here are our best options if you are planning to get one.
- It sports a Big 4.6" LCD Display which shows 8 most common body measurements
- Measures 16 body metrics
- Measures Body Weight Accurately up to 396 LB / 180 Kg
- Includes a Balance Test
- Supports up to 10 Users in one account. Family members also can create their own account on their own smartphone.
- Has Baby Mode and Athlete Mode
- Data is tracked by the free app and can also work with other Fitness Apps, such as Apple Health, Google Fit, Fitbit, Samsung Health.
- It has the most body measurements included in this list. With it, you would have a better understanding of your body and how to achieve your goals.
- Very accurate with 4 high-precise sensors. Weight measurments accurate to +/-0.2lb(0.1kg).
- It is easy to use as the design is centered around helping you achieve your goals.
- The ability to connect with other fitness apps makes it much easier to work with, especially if you already have data in other apps.
- Easy access for a quick look at your data with the eight common measurements shown in the built-in display.
- Anti-collision design with ITO Tempered glass.
- It is the most expensive on this list. But if you are serious about having a device to help track your body goals, this device is worth every penny.
Ugramo Fit Pro - Smart Body Digital Scale
- With Heart Rate and Heart Index Detective
- 16 Body Data: Weight, Body Fat, BMI, Balance, etc.
- Large VA Screen to See Main Data Directly
- 4 Sensor with ITO Panel
- Includes 13 Insightful Measurements about your body and health
- Renpho app works with other fitness apps
- Supports Unlimited Users
- Easy to use Smart App
- Great value for money - the cost is greatly outweighed by the features and benefits compared to other more expensive Bluetooth scales.
- Sports a sleek and fantastic modern design that is great for the home or in the bathroom.
- One of the most accurate Bluetooth Scales in the market
- Calibration is not needed. All you need to do is step on it and get your measurements.
- Not all the available measurements are displayed on the built-in screen. Most of the featured metrics can only be accessed using the app.
- Even though it supports many users, information is synced only to one mobile phone.
- Includes 13 Key Body Composition Metrics
- Supports Unlimited Users
- Information is shareable with family or friends
- High Accuracy Product Made from Quality Materials
- Able to sync with your favorite fitness apps
- The app works well and is user friendly.
- With its low-price tag, you get great value for your money with all the features included.
- The sleek, small, and stylish design is always pleasant to look at. To some, having a well-designed tool helps you push forward with your goals.
- With its capacity to support multiple users, everyone in the family can use it with ease.
- Product Battery Life is not great. You will have to replace or recharge the device more often than what you would want.
- When put to the test, Fitindex Bluetooth Body Fat Scale fails to impress with its durability and Build Quality.
- Includes 8 Key Body Composition Metrics
- Supports up to 8 users
- The app is compatible with multiple fitness apps in the market
- Body Weight Tracking has good accuracy
- Capable of supporting up to 8 users
- Affordable Bluetooth Smart Scale with adequate features
- Calories tracking is not included in the app
- Less than desirable accuracy for Body Fat Measurements
- Tracks body weight and BMI in the Fitbit App
- Fitbit dashboard shows easy to read graphs and charts
- Easy Set-up with Smartphones
- Compatible with other Fitbit devices
- Supports multiple users
- Accurately measures body metrics
- Does not require pairing
- Very easy to use
- Sleek and great design - smaller and more portable than many other smart scales
- It has the least number of measurements included, only weight and BMI.
New products and new brands join the smart scales market each year. This list will get outdated very soon. For now, the best Bluetooth Scale that we can recommend is the Ugramo Fit Pro. Indeed, it is the most expensive, but it also is the one that packs the most features. If you are serious about achieving your health goals, then it is just right to invest a bit. Ugramo Fit Pro will help you realize your dreams.
Ultimately, the best tool is dependent on what you are trying to achieve. Ugramo will give you the best flexibility with all of its features. If you have a specific target, then the other brands can help you at a more affordable price. The most important thing is that these devices assist you in reaching your goals. If it doesn't, then there is no purpose in getting one at all.
Hot Topics You Might Also Like
What Is The Ideal Body Fat Percentage
If you want to keep your body fit and fine, you must keep yourself away from obesity. For that, you must have basic knowledge about the ideal body fat of men and women.
How to Measure Your Body Fat Percentage
If you are thinking of how to measure your body fat percentage, we have provided 6 different ways to measure it along with a brief description of each...
How Heart Rate Help Your Fat Burning
In fact, your fat burning zone might be lying in a rather low heart rate. All you need to do is to figure out the sweet spot where your heart rate...